Sunday, November 29, 2009

The Blind Side

We went to watch the Blind Side this weekend, the story of the rookie left tackle for the Baltimore Ravens, Michael Oher. Austin and I barely ever watch movies, and when we do they tend to be the PBS documentary type ones that we check out from the library. I feel underqualified to be a move critic (or maybe that is my problem--I'm too critical!), but I really enjoyed this movie and highly recommend it.

This is a real-life story adapted from a book of the same name of a neglected boy taken into an unlikely family. It is incredibly powerful to watch Michael be incorporated into his new family and how his life changes.

As a mother, it is impossible to watch a child neglected like that and not to think of my own precious child. It is heart breaking to mentally put him in that other child's shoes; it made me want to go home from the theater and gather him up in my arms and hold him tight and keep him away from a cruel world. It is completely overwhelming to me to think about all the children that don't have that safe person to gather them up into their arms, the sheer amount of helpless innocents suffering in our broken world.