Sunday, December 5, 2010

Going to college



This is Tucker "going to college." Why, you may ask, is my son talking about college already?

The other day he emerged from his room wearing cool-kid jeans (a little loose and sitting a little low on his hips) and a hoodie sweatshirt. He looked so old to me all of a sudden. I told him he looked like he was about to go to college and that I wouldn't let him go, I was going to gobble him up and keep him home with mommy. He has no idea what college is, of course, but he thought it was a fantastic new game--he tells me he is going to college and I feign shock and despair and tell him he can't go and I'm going to keep him home with me.

Yesterday two of my friends from college visited. Before they came I told him about the upcoming visit, and that I knew these friends from college. He got so wide-eyed that they were from the mythical place called college and we had the following discussion:
Tucker, looking a little betrayed: Mommy, did you go to college without me?
Me: Yes, sweetie, you were very, very, very little when I went to college. You were too little to come. [Understatement of the year]
Tucker: If you ever go to college again, I will get to come, right?

Of course, my love.