Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Craft Time

 IMG_3045

A month ago I decided to turn a basically unused corner of my office into a craft area.  With a lot of help from Austin, it turned out spectacularly.  So now instead of hiding random materials in spare closets and hauling it all out when needed, I get the luxury of an eight and a half foot work surface and more storage than I can fill up… yet.  

I wish I had taken before pictures.  The only things we bought for this desk set-up was the cabinet on the right ($30 from the Habitat Store), some white wallpaper tiles for the pie safe, white paint and sealer for the desk, four 12x12 cork boards and fabric to cover them to make the fun red and white bulletin boards ($14).  That puts the transformation at less than $100, and most of the paint and sealer will be left over for future fun.  Most of the materials came from pieces of my father'-in-law’s office in Annapolis that he recently dismantled, though it took some ingenuity to reconfigure it in a way that would work here.

I also collected all the spare containers I could find in the house and took them all out back and spray painted them so they’d be in the same range of colors.  I also took a gold lamp and turned it bright and white.  The only thing left to do is let the paint on the counter fully cure (approximately two weeks) and then I’ll seal it with an acrylic polyurethane to make it durable enough to stand the test of projects. 

The big question is: why am I sitting on the couch blogging when I could be crafting?

IMG_3046