Monday, April 5, 2010

The Best Birthday Present Ever


...Was getting to see the first ultrasound of our baby today! I am at the end of my first trimester, and Baby Jamison gave me quite a show this afternoon, leaping and frolicking and generally being very squirmy. I told Tucker when I got home that I saw the baby jumping, but he didn't believe me and told me that babies can't jump. You can see from the picture that the baby already takes after Austin with its ramrod straight posture.

We asked Tucker on Easter if he wanted a baby brother or a baby sister. I explained that baby sisters probably would like to play dress up and dolls and brothers would like trucks, so of course Tucker said he wanted a baby brother. The key fact I left out was that Tucker would have to share his trucks if he had a brother... I think this would potentially (i.e. definitely) reverse his thoughts on the matter.

Tucker's real opinion, I'm afraid, is that he doesn't like the idea of a baby in the house. At our Bible Study, I occasionally have the gumption to hold my friend's baby who is now 5 months old... the first time Tucker saw me holding William, he had a fit and just completely dissolved. Ever since then he tells me before the Bible study and at other times during the week as he sees fit that "Mama not hold Henry's baby." In the nursery at church, Tucker tries to guard my lap and box the other kids out that might sit there. It sounds to me like learning to share Mama might be a little painful for all involved this fall!

Baby J is due on October 19th, which is an interesting choice of arrival dates given a wedding in Brooklyn, New York that I'm attending on October 10th. I think I will have to wear a muumuu and hide under a large boulder so that I don't accidentally make it into any of the wedding pictures... assuming, of course, that I don't go into labor in the middle of the ceremony. This is one case where I really wouldn't mind if the baby takes its time (I never thought I would say that after Tucker being 8 days late).

But in all seriousness, we are tremendously thankful for and blessed with this new life. I also am thankful for beginning to feel human again after a miserable first trimester--it remains bizarre to me that you can feel the most wretched during the part of pregnancy where the baby is smaller than the size of a walnut.