Thursday, January 19, 2012

Yesterday was my first day…

…in FOUR months without using crutches at all!!!  I walked into a small store, put Molly in the shopping cart and almost cried it was so easy to shop like that.  I am so incredibly excited and thankful.  The best thing is being able to walk around the house holding Molly.  (The ironic thing is that she started walking everywhere a few days ago so now she suddenly wants to be held less!)

I’ve already gotten the question twice yesterday: when am I going to start running again?  DON’T THESE PEOPLE UNDERSTAND???  My goals right now have nothing to do with running.  Running is not anywhere on my radar screen.  My goals are to be able to carry loads of laundry, to climb the stairs confidently, to walk wherever I want without strategizing how to complete a task with the fewest steps, to be able to shop at a store like Target without using the electric buggy, to be able to sit in a chair without pain, to get cleared to be able to stretch and do yoga, to chase my kids outside, to be able to run to pick up Molly when she is in danger or falls, to garden, to take the dog and kids on walks, to go on hikes as a family. 

I haven’t been officially cleared by the doctor to be off crutches (that comes Monday), and I do have the sense I might have done a little bit too much yesterday… but still, yesterday was a very sweet day and hopefully there will be more to come.