Sunday, April 19, 2015

Like a Sleeping Dolphin…

One reason I am needing to catch up on my blogging is because of how terrible my pregnancy was.  Emily darling, you were worth it, but you gave me a run for my money.

Tucker observed that during my pregnancy I was kind of like a dolphin sleeping.  Dolphins don’t ever go completely to sleep—they just turn off half of their body at a time.  He thought I was a lot like a dolphin that was asleep during my whole pregnancy.  I think Tucker is pretty insightful, because that is how my pregnancy felt to me, too.  .

A few memories from that time…

Just after I found out I was pregnant (before the kids knew), we were leaving the thrift store and passed a bouncy seat.  Molly said “let’s get that for our baby.” And I said, “But Jesus needs to give us a baby first.” So the kids right there both prayed to Jesus for a baby.  Actually, Molly had been praying for a baby sister for almost two years by the time Emily was born.  When she was in the littlest class in preschool last year, I actually got questions about whether I was pregnant because Molly kept talking about her baby sister because she was so convinced Jesus would give her one.

Telling the kids we were going to have a baby, we decided to play Twenty Questions.  We told them we had exciting news and they had to guess what it was.  By the end of the twenty questions, Molly was asking questions like: “Is the exciting news a window?”  Tucker stayed a little more focused, but they definitely didn’t guess it on their own.  When we told them they’d have a baby sibling, the first thing they thought of was that they would get to share a room.  They immediately squealed and started moving Molly’s things into Tucker’s room (even though we told them the move was several months away).

Molly and Austin were convinced from the start that Emily would be a girl.  Tucker and I thought she’d be a boy.  Molly still likes to tell me several times a week that she and Daddy were right.