Saturday, April 11, 2009

The burden of a book

I was just talking to my father-in-law, David, about what to do with all the books you collect over a lifetime that you don't want. You know, the mediocre books, that you're not going to give to anyone else or read again.

It's a burden to see all those books staring me in the face. Where do you donate them? I don't feel like Goodwill does a very good job with books. No one goes to those stores to pick up old books. I guess I should donate them to the library which has an annual sale.

Speaking of the library, I love the library. It is the antidote to this problem I'm talking about. I can just return a book I don't like and never have to see it again. It is such a commitment to buy a book... you have to be SURE that it's the perfect thing, but even after tons of research, I still feel like there are a lot of duds, books whose covers are WAAY better than their insides. And why spend your time reading a mediocre book when there are so many amazing books out there?

It is true riches to be able walk into a library and to pick up every book you could ever imagine wanting to look at, to walk out with about 20 books, and to have no obligation but to explore them to my heart's content.