Friday, January 29, 2010

Our new toaster


Yes, I really am blogging about a toaster. And no, it's not really new. Toasters are one of those things that get gross so quickly in our house. Maybe it's the number of times we use ours in a day (have I mentioned that Austin eats A LOT?), or maybe we are especially hard on toasters, but the glass gets all grimy and the metal part all discolored. I insisted on replacing Austin's from bachelorhood when it was two years old because of all these problems. The only problem is, our "new" two year-old toaster inherited all the same problems.

Buying a toaster every two years is ridiculous. I know, the ones I buy only cost $20, so what's the problem, you ask? Answer: Waste! Principle!

Anyway, I discovered that appliance spray paint works wonders. Just spray the metal all over, wait for the paint to thoroughly dry (if you use the toaster with the paint still wet, it has an interesting but perhaps not beneficial effect on the paint, FYI), and you're in business.... Well, unless you're like me and forget to protect the glass from the spray paint. Then you'd have to google how to remove spray paint from glass and enlist the help of a razor and nail polish to get it off. If you escape the nail-polish and razor routine, I found the glass is much easier to clean with oven cleaner.