Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Bathroom Wall Art


This is my experiment with putting vinyl wall decals into the upstairs hall bathroom. That bathroom has some sort of solid, corian-type shower surround. I've never seen a shower surround like it, and am not sure what era it's from (was it put in when the addition went up in the 1930's? Is it from the 60s or 70s?). It's in good shape, but it just looks a bit dingy. I've toyed around with painting it, or at least painting a stripe to try to jazz it up, but the permanence of epoxy has dissuaded me.

Instead, I found some vinyl wall decals that are waterproof and removable and I made a little underwater scene with them. I'll be interested to see if they really last in such a wet location. I ordered the polka dots and the whales from two different sellers on Etsy.com and neither of the sellers' colors came as I thought they would. (The whale was supposed to be the same color as the dots, and there was a whole additional set of polka dots that were yellow that I had to ditch because they came in a really bad shade of yellowish orange.) After my initial disappointment with the colors, I decided that since I already had bought everything, I might as well see if the vinyl decals work... and be glad that I chose something that I can remove when I get tired of them!

Regardless, I think Tucker will like them.