Saturday, July 3, 2010

Trip to the Mountains

This week Austin was doing work in a mountain county a couple hours away this week, and stayed out there so that he wouldn't waste half a day just driving to get to the site. Tucker and I decided to join him for a night to get a break from the heat, get to play in the mountains, and so that we could get some spray foam sprayed in our basement (necessitating an empty house for 24 hours).

Anyway, I learned some things on this trip:

1) I am a hotel snob. I haven't stayed in a run-down motel ("vintage" is how the motel guide described itself) in a long, long time. It was worse than I thought it could be. No bedskirts, stained rugs, cigarette holes in the bedspread, mold on the wallpaper in the bathroom, a broken bedframe, flat pillows that hadn't been replaced in years (and that gave A. and I both allergy attacks), and more.

2) Tucker is not a hotel snob. He thought the room was fabulous and the hotel really nice. He thought we should stay in the room all day, waiting for "Bob" to come on TV (Sponge Bob Square Pants).

3) Tucker thought it was really fun to be in the same room as his parents. Austin and I did not share his opinion. We did our best to construct a visual barrier so he would go to sleep, but it was just too exciting. Instead, Tucker spent most of the night chucking Ducky off the bed and going to retrieve him. We spent most of the night having allergy attacks and trying to ignore Tucker.

4) White noise machines are helpful, but they're no match for a rowdy toddler. Key piece of packing advice for our next vacation: ear plugs!

5) The most exciting part of our trip for Tucker was the water fountain at the playground. Apparently he hasn't drunk from one before, and it was an unmatched experience. Will he think the airport fountains are equally exciting next week?

Incidentally, I should mention that I'm writing this entry with Ducky on my head. Apparently, Ducky is my hat and I am supposed to wear him all the time. Tucker sometimes wears Ducky's brother on his head so we can match, but mostly it is just ME that is supposed to sport a Duck headdress.