Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Betrayed, again, by the squash

It is time for our squash to die. It is WAAAY past time for them to die, actually. What summer squash is still looking chipper into August in Virginia? I've been telling myself that it is dying, but the problem is that when I go into the garden it is still there, and it seems so wasteful not to harvest what's there.

There were 11 squash sitting on my counter from a few days ago until today when I gave a bunch to the chickens (that had gotten past their prime from their counter-sitting), and shredded the rest (14 cups worth) for muffins and more frozen squash.

But then, I went to the garden, and what was there? Nine more summer squash. Argh!!!

I refuse to freeze any more squash, absolutely refuse. Austin refuses to take the squash with him to a men's group meeting tomorrow morning at church (he claims no one will want them... I'm not sure I care). I think the only option now is a box at the end of our road and a "FREE SQUASH" sign.