Saturday, August 8, 2009

What lies beneath...

I think I've mentioned that our house is constantly full of surprises. Let me tell you about this weekend's two newest surprises:

1) Mystery smell. We have a mystery smell that Austin claims started earlier this week, but I didn't smell until yesterday. Austin says it started outside, but I first smelled it on the loveseat in the sunroom, and then near the refrigerator. No, I'm not talking about a good smell. I think we have a dead animal somewhere. But the funny this is the smell is diffuse and wafts here and there and we can't quite pin it down. Austin asked "how long could a dead animal smell? A week?" Let's hope so....

2) Bees, wasps, and hornets, oh my! Austin is in the process of scraping the side of our house that is most in need of a fresh coat of paint. It also happens to be the side of our house with a lot of wasps, and bees, and who knows what other stinging insects. Austin makes me very nervous on a tall ladder, scraping paint, with all these stinging insects around (one of them got in his shoe the other night while he was on the ladder). Yes, we're trying to kill them, but they have nested in the actual siding of our house, and it's difficult to get wasp spray up into siding at the right angle to kill a wasp. Today the situation got even worse when Austin took a break from the scraping to begin repairing the laundry room window which involved removing the casing to actually take the window out, only to find that the wasps were living inside the wall there and started flying into the house. The vacuum is currently sitting in the laundry room, waiting to suck up the errant wasps still wandering through.....

That's it for news around Midway Farm tonight... I'm not sure I can take too much more excitement like this!