Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Alarm clocks are complex pieces of machinery


The question of the day is: how did I ever function as a single person? More specifically, how did I ever get up in the morning? I have a confession: I am incapable of setting my alarm.

I am not a fan of everyday alarm use. I go to bed early enough that I generally wake up early enough to get where I need to go no problem. I figure if I sleep in a bit too much and rush, that's okay, because I needed the sleep. Oh, and of course, Tucker has been my alarm clock for the past two years anyway. And those rare days when we do need an alarm for a special purpose, well, usually Austin is getting up for the same reason that I am and just sets his.

But still, every now and then I have a need to set my alarm clock. And I fail. Every time. It's ridiculous.

The first time, I had the alarm set 12 hours later than it should've been (AM not PM).
The second time, I had the clock on PM when it should've been AM, so the alarm didn't go off.
The third time, I had the volume too low to hear it.
The fourth time, I thought I had switched the alarm clock on, but really had turned it off.
The fifth time, I had the alarm set to radio, but didn't have it tuned to a station.
Today, I managed to set the clock back an hour accidentally so even though my alarm was set for 6:30 am, it wouldn't ring until 7:30 because my clock was wrong.

And there probably have been other permutations and duplications of the above errors that I'm forgetting. This issue has passed the ridiculous mark and is now somewhere between bizarre and absurd. After all, how hard is it to work an alarm clock?