Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Why not to buy a Dell laptop

In case anyone is in the market for a new laptop, I strongly suggest not buying a Dell. I have an almost-two year old Dell laptop, with what seems to be a very common Dell defect that they are not admitting is a systematic defect. This defect also can't be fixed with anything short of a new motherboard.

Fortunately, the defect is relatively minor: the computer tells me it doesn't recognize my AC adaptor and so although it will power the computer, it won't charge my battery.

If you google Dell AC adaptors not being recognized, you realize quickly that you are in VERY good company. Apparently this is a really common problem with Dells, partly because they put special chips in their AC adaptors so that laptops can't use third party replacement adaptors. It seems like this special chip has the propensity to mess up the process of the computer recognizing even a Dell adaptor.

It's one thing to make a faulty product. It's another thing to ignore the issue, even after it's been demonstrated to be a basic hardware problem. I also take issue with Dell's customer service. Although they construct their computers to only be able to use Dell replacement parts, ordering from Dell is a nightmare. Both times I've ordered from Dell they have repeatedly (like 3-4 times each order) pushed back the ship date. I've never had another company do this.

Of course, I did buy my computer for less than half of what it costs to buy a Mac, so I still think I am coming out ahead in the Mac vs PC battle. Just, next time, it'll be Acer or Toshiba or Compaq or Gateway or HP... anything but Dell.