Monday, January 26, 2009

Free at last, free at last...

... thank God Almighty, free at last.
-me, after finishing the Bible study curriculum I'm writing

Okay, so maybe it's not kosher to appropriate the words of Martin Luther King Jr. for trivial purposes like to convey my relief after finally finishing the high school Bible study curriculum I've been writing for Camp Cedarbrook in Maine (the former Camp Cherith), but I sure am excited.

It is a lot harder to write Bible studies for high schoolers at camp when you have been:
a) out of high school for more than a decade
b) absent from camp for the past 6 years
c) not currently teaching Bible studies of any kind
d) not regularly around high school kiddos.

It was a painful process, but I have learned over the years that just because something is painful, it doesn't mean it is not a good process, or a useful one, or one that can produce results useful to others. It would have been fun to have had an epiphany from on high and then just have to write it down. But, if you had to wait for that level of divine inspiration, I'm afraid not many Bible studies would get written.

It is amazing to me that even in the muddling imperfection of someone like me trying to write a Bible study, that God can choose to speak. Seriously.

It makes me think of the verse from 1 Corinthians 13:12 "For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known."