Monday, February 16, 2009

Like a beached whale


Way back in high school, we would practice splashing in the water like Shamu, the killer whale. In college, our coach made a very unfortunate comment about wanting no beached whales on his team (!).

Well, yesterday, I did my first masters swim meet.

The good news: I'm still alive to tell the story.

The bad news: I have a lot of work to do.

Actually, it was a lot of fun, and as I have never competed under the name "Jackie Jamison" before, ALL of my swims were personal bests (riiight).

It was definitely inspiring. I watched a 96 year-old woman set two national masters swimming records (in the 50 breast and 50 free--both swims around 2 minutes each). She even did the 100 IM, which was impressive.

Probably more inspiring to me for my stage of life were the legions of other former swimmers who are in really good, competitive shape and swimming some pretty good times.

Hopefully this motivation lasts as I swim alone at the YMCA day after day over the next six months....