Saturday, May 16, 2009

Benny, you look dashing



I just finished up a beginning sewing class (thanks, Mom!). I actually already sew and have made lots of different things... but never officially learned, and decided it was time. Time to learn how to sew straight, how to follow patterns, how to do things right. You're only supposed to break the rules after you learn them, which is why my projects sometimes turn out quite wonky: I cut the wrong corners.

It took me two classes to learn the antidote to all my sewing problems: 1) wash the fabric first 2) iron the fabric before beginning and after each step 3) cut things out precisely rather than just ripping the fabric to approximate size 4) make sure you have the right equipment for the job (you really do need different type of feet for your sewing machine for different types of fabrics, and different tasks) 5) pin things to keep them in place. These "little" things really do matter, it turns out.

So, here's a picture of the reversible apron I made, modeled by St. Benedict the Great. Incidentally, I don't think he was thrilled by the apron, but he'll do anything for a belly rub.

The apron actually looks much sillier on me. It has a gathered waist band that accentuates the waist (just the thing a gal is looking for), and besides, who wears an apron these days? Not me... it would take more than an apron to keep my clothes clean around a toddler.

My next projects are to make Ben a new dog bed cover, to tailor a pair of pants, hem a dress... and after that, maybe try something fun?