Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Exhausting and Irritating

I sometimes read Oswald Chambers' My Utmost for His Highest. This morning, the May 19th entry had a comment about trials... how they often aren't some grand event, but may be just something that is exhausting, irritating, or causing some sort of weakness.

This struck a chord with me as a mother. Exhaustion and irritation are the two big challenges I face day in and day out. Tucker is a precious (well loved) little boy. And yet, his needs are endless. Tomorrow he will need the same number of diapers, the same consistency, the same EVERYTHING as today. Even 20 months into this motherhood adventure, I find the 24-7 nature of the task hard. It is easy to reach the end of the day (or the hour) exhausted already.

And as for irritation, I think that also goes with toddler territory as well. Someone described toddlers to me essentially as little cavemen, and I can definitely see the comparison. There is nothing like whining, crying, or even happy shrieking, to wear a person down. Sometimes I feel like saying, "Tucker, can't you just act your age? You're acting so immature!" And then I remember that he is acting his age. This is the one time in his life that it would be difficult for him to act immature in the true sense of the word. :)

...

I wrote this post this morning, and it was not a good idea to tempt fate talking about stuff like that, because I just got a call from my mechanic saying my car needs a new computer. Now THAT is truly irritating. :)