Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Day 1 at the Beach





We drove through the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel on our way from Annapolis to Virginia Beach. I'd driven over the CBBT once in college, but the second time around was just as impressive. Tucker didn't know what to think about the tunnel part of it, and was enthusiastic about the bridge part of it. I was trying to figure out 1) why do they have a tunnel in some places and not others 2) if the tunnel is under the bay floor or on top of it and 3) how do they build a tunnel so it's not flooded with water? I'm not an engineer so all that boggles my mind.

We're staying at one of the cabins at First Landing State Park. I can't imagine us not returning here again. Our cabin is a cozy two bedroom with living room, kitchen, grill, screened in porch and deck. It's surrounded by vegetation and the only people we can see from our site are our neighbors across the street. The park has 18 miles of trails all walking distance out our front door, great playground, lots of kids programs, allows dogs (even on the beach!), and has a great beach. The beach is technically on the Bay, not the Atlantic, and isn't quite as wide as the beach along the boardwalk, but the water is a lot warmer and the waves are just as good. And all of this is at state park prices!!

Of course, there are a few downsides: no TV, no internet/phone, and no cozy living room furniture that you can really sprawl out on. Plus, the aesthetic here is pretty bare compared to a hotel (ie cinder block walls, tile floor instead of carpet). But I just look at the people camping and I realize how luxurious it is. :) Actually, I think the no internet thing is good for me... it is amazing how much time I can spend on the computer!

It was a cool, overcast day today with drizzle in the morning. We explored the park of the state park that's on back bay. Tucker loved the calm, warm water and ran through it until he was soaked from head to toe. The first time he fell in, he got up and smacked his lips for about a minute, tasting the saltiness. After we all had long afternoon naps (did I mention I love vacation?), we went to the boardwalk, looking for a merry-go-round ride for the little man. The boardwalk doesn't actually have much commercial on it, and the one dinky place on the strip a block away from the beach that had rides charged $5 a person for a ride... that amounts to highway robbery in my opinion. But we did go into an arcade next door, which Tucker loved. He pretended he was doing Dance-Dance Revolution, then loved sitting in the car/motorcycle racing game stations. I tried to wait him out and whisk him away when he got tired of it, but finally had to carry him out screaming. It's hard when you don't get your way. :)

Tucker didn't even make it up till 7 pm which is surprising because he had a long nap. He was carrying around his duck and pacifier and whining by 6:15, and by 6:45 was just lying on the deck on top of his duck, while Austin grilled. When I picked him up, he was just totally limp as I carried him to bed. Vacation is hard work.