Wednesday, July 1, 2009

If you have two summer squash plants...

...pull one up.

This is the wisdom about summer squash in the latest Eating Well magazine. The point is avoiding the dreadful bounty of summer squash that quickly overwhelms a person, a family and a freezer.

We sort of took this advice in that we decided not to plant any zucchini this year, which would cut our summer squash yield in half right off the bat. However, we did plant yellow summer squash, we planted more than two seeds, didn't pull any up, and we are paying for it now.

I spent yesterday afternoon processing about 15 summer squash to get things taken care of before we leave on vacation. That yielded 30 cups of densely packed shredded squash. 30 cups????!!! I wouldn't wish that on my best friend.

What did I do with 30 cups of summer squash? I made zucchini muffins (a triple batch that doubled the amount of squash the recipe called for), summer squash soup, and squash hashbrowns with onion and potato. I still had at least a third of the squash left over that I froze, shredded, in ziplock bags.

The muffins are definitely good... but then again, it would be hard to make a bad sweet bread.

Austin thought the soup was good, and my brother in law Matt liked the hashbrowns. By the time dinner rolled around all of it looked terrible to me. After being elbow-deep in squash all afternoon the last thing I wanted to do was eat it! But there are lots of leftovers for lunch....