Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Zoomba

I stumbled into the wrong exercise class at the Y this morning. I'm into their spinning and weights classes, but instead I found myself smack in the middle of a Zoomba/Step class. Before I figured out what a big mistake I'd made, the music came on and there was no graceful way to bow out.

I've never done any sort of cardio aerobics class like that before, ever. It's a lot like dancing, requiring rhythm, some grace, and (gasp) coordination. There's a reason I'm a swimmer.

Apparently, not only did I stumble into a Zoomba/step class, I stumbled into an ADVANCED Zoomba/step class. About five minutes into it, I gave up almost entirely on trying to copy what they were doing with my arms, because my legs were so hopelessly behind.

The class would have been a lot better if there hadn't been one of those wrap-around mirrors in the room that reminded me of how ridiculous I looked in my fifteen year-old soccer shorts and two left feet. I felt like a cross between Napoleon Dynamite and Little Miss Sunshine doing their dance routines.

I did get a great workout, I met two new people, and I had a very good laugh at myself, though I'm not sure if I'm brave enough to ever go back. I have a lot of respect for people who do aerobics classes now.