Wednesday, December 31, 2008

The Horse and His Boy


Austin and I just finished reading the Horse and His Boy by CS Lewis out loud to each other. It's the third book in the Narnia series, and is excellent. I haven't ever read fiction out loud to someone else, besides a few times as a counselor at summer camp, and it takes a little getting used to.

I read very quickly to myself, and am in the habit apparently of almost skimming some words, especially the details. It's a very different experience reading out loud, because you can't skimp on the details. Every word is read, and takes more emphasis and time than reading to yourself. So it's interesting in that way, annoying at times, but also very fun.

Why are we reading the Narnia tales out loud to each other? Why not? We might as well practice for when Tucker gets old enough to have them read to him, right? Seriously, though, he's years away from hearing Narnia, and we were given this wonderful gift set of the Narnia books, and it just isn't possible to wait to read them for the first time with Tucker. And then a year or more ago we came across my brother and his now-fiancee (Hi Kat and Mike!) reading fantasy out loud to each other during a holiday. Of course we secretly laughed at them, but you know, maybe they had a good idea.

Anyway, I am not into spoiling plots. But what I love about the Narnian books is that they inspire you to chivalry, and honor, to gird up for the battle between good and evil. It is fun to think about worlds that are unseen sometimes, and where the good guys win. The plot is so gripping, I always go too fast and then end the book trying to remember what all the important, noble truths were that Lewis wove in there.

Also, I have to say, CS Lewis has characters with great names: Cor, Corin, Darrin... better than any baby name book, in my opinion (not that we are looking for baby names now, so don't go getting ideas!!!!).