Saturday, December 20, 2008

O Christmas Tree




We got our Christmas tree today. We want it to last through the 12 days of Christmas till Epiphany (January 6th) so we've been super restrained in not putting it up too early.

Our romantic family trek to cut down a live Christmas tree was a bit less than sublime. Tucker has been a bit sick yesterday and today, and it was cold and rainy. The first Christmas tree farm didn't have any trees over about 5' tall, and even the 5 footers were skinny and scraggly. Austin thought we could find something if we looked hard enough, though I boycotted the place and stayed in the car with Little One. The Tree was obviously not there.

So, I casually mentioned on our way to place #2 my assumption that we want an 8' tree (hey, we live in an old farm house with 10' ceilings, plus, in my family we get BIG trees). Austin nearly keels over. Have I lost my mind? Or at least my Christmas marbles? Anyway, we leave the issue lingering when we approach Christmas Tree Farm #2. A great college kid takes us on Tucker's first ATV ride out to a back field where there are many glorious Christmas trees. We keep picking out the "perfect" tree and then finding another to take its place. I notice, but discreetly choose not to mention that our picks are getting larger and larger each time. We eagerly pick the best one. Our first real Christmas tree. We go to pay. Guess what? It's 8', just like I had wanted.... I knew it would all work out. :)

I'll post a pic as soon as we get it up, but first Austin's cutting and mudding some drywall and putting a final coat of paint on our new mudroom bench/window/pass through. (THANKS, HONEY!!!) Oh yeah, the plumbers were here today, and we still don't have a working master bath... maybe by Christmas?