Saturday, December 20, 2008

Vegan Christmas Cookies


I gave up my vegetarian ways long ago in college, but my old cookbooks from my vegetarian commune days (I'm only half joking here) are coming back in handy with Tucker's allergies (dairy, egg, nuts). How do you Christmas cookies without milk, eggs, and butter? Answer: find vegan recipes. (Answer #2: just buy oreos--they're vegan! Answer #3: make lots of pies because it's easy to find great dairy-free pie crusts).

Okay, so these cookies are NOT as good as the real stuff. How could they be? But they really are passable.

This is the link to the recipe:
http://www.johnandkristie.com/archives/2005/10/perfect_sugar_c.html

Of course, I prefer butter or cream cheese frosting so made some modifications, and the amount of frosting they called for was obscene (I think I dumped 3 batches of frosting in the compost).

Still, all in all, a good first foray into the Tucker-safe Christmas cookie realm. He definitely thought they were good. But then again, he so rarely has dessert, whenever sugar passes his lips it rocks his little world.