Friday, June 12, 2009

Good books?

I have to come up with three suggestions for my book club next year by Tuesday. Everyone presents their three options, and we pick one book for each person.

So far, I have two of the three selected: Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell, and Prodigal Summer by Barbara Kingsolver. I haven't read either, but I've read others by both Gladwell and Kingsolver, and love both authors. Gladwell writes non-fiction about how people think and make decisions, trying to explain intriguing everyday mysteries. In Outliers I think he poses and sets about answering the question why some people are successful and some are not.

I picked Prodigal Summer because it's a Kingsolver book I haven't read. It especially seems apt because it's set in the Appalachians, and has a bigger emphasis on nature and place than some of her books.

But here's the problem: I need a third pick.

Here are some candidates:
Gilead by Marilynn Robinson
The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls (fabulous book, but I've already read it)

The book I pick can't be a new release because it needs to be readily available in the library system. But otherwise just about anything is fair game.

Any ideas????