Thursday, June 4, 2009

True wealth is...



... a thriving fence-full of sugar snap peas. (Incidentally, I'm not saying this is my exclusive definition of wealth, but you know, it is a good one.)

I remember when I was little, one of our neighbors, Mr. Nagle, grew snap peas and taught us how to pick them. What a life, I thought.

The romance with snap peas is that you get to eat them right off the vine, nothing else required. The only other veggies I put in that category are cherry tomatoes. Other than that, there are lots of things to eat raw, but most are better cooked or in a salad, or chopped and washed or whatever.

Added to the mystique of the snap pea, is that it's a crop you have to hit just right, especially down South where it gets hot fast and they wither. Another few weeks, and they'll be in revolt. But now, look at that beauty!