Friday, June 19, 2009

Lessons from reading Madeline

Tucker and I had a fun day at the library, which is in a converted train station. It is approximately 10 feet from the tracks and occasionally we get treated to the train roaring buy. Today we had the best train day ever, because the train actually slowed down and stopped right in front of the library's big picture window.

From the same window, Tucker can also watch the fork lifts load lumber onto big flat bed trailers at the lumber yard across the tracks. So obviously, the library is a big hit, but we don't get much reading done.

I pulled some books for him to look at and decide which to take home. We were talking about Madeline this week at book club, so I looked it up and tried to get Tucker interested. I loved the Madeline books as a kid (my mom always told me that if I hadn't been named Jacqueline, it would've been Madeline), with all the little girls in rows parading around Paris.

Unfortunately, Tucker's interest was about nonexistent and the book got nixed in favor of I Like to Ride My Train. Sigh. Still... at least he wasn't like my friend's (slightly older) son who read the Madeline book where there's a guillotine and was so inspired he decided to build one of his own.